painting onto new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had extension built which is near completion. I am wondering how long I need to leave the new plaster before I paint it? and how many coats of paint will it need? I want a matt look in a neutral natural colour. should I use some cheaper white paint a few times first? also, in the existing house which is old sandstone walls, the paint is starting to take on an eggshell appearance and peeling off in some places above where the radiators are. I did paint this with a satin type paint then painted over it with a matt one. can I just sand the flaky bits and start again? also, on the front wall inside, we were told to get a damp proof course in which we did. since then, patches of black mould keep appearing. what can I use to paint over this (it has stained the wall) and can I prevent it happening again? ( hoping for knowledgable replies so I can shock my dear partner who thinks that my only contribution will be pointing out the colour paint I want on the sample strip!!! )

Sponsored Links
I think I can answer SOME of your questions:

1. I've noticed that the paint on walls and ceilings directly above the light bulbs of light fixtures will often peel. I believe that's simply due to the heat from the bulb, or the paint being exposed to the heat from a light bulb before it's fully dry.
Perhaps the same thing is causing the paint to peel above your radiators, and all you need to do is put something on or over your radiators to prevent the hot rising air from being too close to the wall.

2. So far as mildew goes, you should clean the mildew off with bleach, use clean water to remove any residual bleach, allow to dry and then paint over any areas where mildew forms with a paint specifically made for bathrooms like Zinsser's PermaWhite Bathroom Paint. This paint will have a mildewcide in it that kills mildew spores that land on the paint before they have a chance to grow, thereby keeping the wall free of mildew for many many years. Zinsser's guarantees their bathroom paint to be free of mildew for a minimum of 5 years, but my experience using it is that it lasts very much longer than that.

Scroll down to find the post entitled "mouldy bathroom ceiling" to read more about mildewcides in paints.

thanks for your advice. I know .. I did have a million and one questions! all advice is much appreciated though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back