Painting outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the score on painting outdoors during the winter months? Need to paint some previously painted pebbledash and a front door in oil based paint. Is it a done thing what with so much moisture about? Does gloss still perform well in temperatures just above freezing?

Sponsored Links
dont paint below 5c , ;) make sure you dont paint before 10am and finish before 3pm ;) after that the moisture is returning as nigth times comes :) use quick drying paint ;) some people break this rule at there peril,after 10 the temp is up and the wood etc is just about ;) dryed out

If the weather looks a bit sus i sometimes put a bit of Cobalt Driers or Terrebine Driers in the paint to speed it up. Not too much though as it can craze as it dries. :LOL:

If painting outdoors I usually use a heat gun to chase the residual moisture away.

Sponsored Links
If your painting with masonry paint use pliolite based stuff...you can apply it in something like -5 ...not that you'd want to!

But its shower proff after 20 odd minutes and dries under its own steam.

cheers for the advice. My main concern is with the dampness - especially when using oil based paint - given the amount of moisture around this time of year there's always the chance of locking in some moisture within the paint and causing adhesion problems like the paint peeling some time soon. Bring on those warm summer evenings.

As long as you have a nice bright day youl be fine.

One of the brands of pliolite..I cant remember which actually boast that you can put it on a slightly damp wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back