Zinsser Bullseye 123 (water based) vs Zinsser BIN (oil based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently painting my room. Im now doing the wood work (skirting, door, architrave, etc). These wooden surfaces were previously painted with oil based gloss, using very old paint, that contains lead.

The best way to paint on this surface is to rub down with wet sandpaper to provide a key. However, I want to avoid the rub down, if possible.

Ive tried using Zinsser Bullseye 123, water based paint. Apparently this product can grip onto gloss paint. Unfortunately, this is not the case, where the Zinsser Bullseye 123 paint is easily scraped off of the old gloss paint.

My question: would Zinsser BIN, oil based paint, be able to grip gloss paint better than its water-based counterpart? Could I get away with using liquid sandpaper on the gloss paint to rough it up a little, just to provide a better key for the primer to grip onto?

What would be the easiest way to paint over this gloss paint, without needing a rub down?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi .
the 123 is what I would use.. It gets more scratch resistant as it cures (8 days?). The bin is shellac based I find it a bit sticky over large area's Myself I just give a light rub over with p120 paper, you dont need to go mad at it just a slight 'dulling' will do then any paint will stay on the gloss. Vac then wash down with cold water and ammonia, then you'l find something like dulux acrylic primer undercoat will stick to it like the proverbial **** to a brick. Of cours I'd have a mask on when sanding, lead based or not ;)
good luck.

Thanks.

I have now bought some Zinsser BIN and find it A LOT more grippier than its water based counterpart (Bullseye 123).

I shall be using this as the primer and will then give the woodwork 2 coats of white, waterbased Dulux satinwood.

I used wet sandpaper for the sanding, which took ages. The French doors alone took about 5hrs in total.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back