Painting over a flaking wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please give me some painting advice.
I have recently moved into a house and have started to decorate bit by bit.
The upstairs bedroom wall needs attention as the paint that was used before is peeling away in patches. Most of the wall is fine, only for a few patches.
What I did notice under the paint is that the plaster, which is approx 3 years old did not have a sealer/mist coat.
No damp is present to cause the peeling, do I have to try and take all the paint off and apply some sealer or can I sand the loose patches and apply some kind of sealer over the entire wall.
I will be using matt emulsion so is it advisable not to use pva sealer.

Thanks in advance

Stu

Sponsored Links
This problem is more often than not the lack of the application of a mist coat, firstly on no account use PVA. You will need to first sand the wall paying particular attentention to the frayed areas of the failed paintwork the objective is to provide both a smooth and uniform finish regarding the existing paintwork and the plaster skim. If this proves difficult to achieve you will need to face fill and then sand back untill a smooth finish has been obtained.

Whichever method you choose the skim or indeed filled areas should only be sealed with thinned Matt Emulsion, remember NO PVA.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back