Problems with Dulux Primer Sealer over distemper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom walls had a blue chalky covering on them (under the wallpaper) which I believe to be distemper. I assumed this as there was some similar chalky red stuff under the wllpaper in bedroom no. 1 which I scrubbed off over many days.

I wanted a quick fix for bedroom 2 so bought some Dulux Primer Sealer which is a solvent based and supposedly suitable for distemper and 'painted plaster'. (There are some patches of old emulsion paint on the wall, alongside and over the distemper).

I sanded the walls where they looked dodgy. I then applied the Primer Sealer and let dry for 2 days. I then painted over the sealer on one wall in Dulux white emulsion. I used a roller and big chunks of the wall started to flake off onto it. It had bubbled and flaked under the new emulsion in some areas and looked fine in others. I don't want this to happen to the other 3 walls so what do people suggest I do? Is there a quick remedy?

I have a feeling the right thing to do now would be to scrub/scrape off all the distemper back to original plaster (as I did in bedroom 1) and start again. If so, does anyone have any tips for REMOVING DISTEMPER THAT IS COATED IN SOLVENT BASED PRIMER SEALER? I want to avoid using any more solvent based stuff as it is making the whole household feel sick.

Thanking you in advance.
:)

Sponsored Links
I had a real problem with distemper in my flat.

Flaky ceilings from previous occupant.. Did a lot of scraping and washing. Used Zinnser. Peeled. Scraped that off. Scraped some more. There was still some hard stuff which i prayed was not the hard distemper which nothing will stick too, apparently. Used Dulux primer sealer and then emulsion. So far so good. (Nearly a year)

Then afterwards discovered that the walls had a problem in the same way. Like you I discovered this when i put emulsion on a wall that had mixed paint finishes that I had previously sanded; immediately after painting, parts of the old wall paint bubbled. I scrapped these parts away wet (came off real easy).

Result; very uneven wall! Bodge solution; some filler, sanding, Dulux primer sealer over problem area, painted over with base coat emulsion on the patches, and then base coat over whole wall, finally top coat. Result; not brilliant but hardly notice now as I am not very fussy.

Second room I used Dulux primer sealer over the whole wall first and did not get the bubbling after. I was sick of scraping by then and needed a quick fix.

Perhaps the areas where you got the problem was areas you may have missed with the primer sealer? You should also used a brush with it so that you can slosh it on good.

Unless you are prepared to try the bodge solution above, it may be quicker to reskim the walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back