Painting over Barrentine Protective Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbishing my garden shed and since the barge boards were rotten, I decided to replace them with new pieces of timber.

Since I had half a 5l tin of clear Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment left over from another project, I thought it would be a good idea to use this to protect the new barge boards. I painted the barge boards with 2 coats of Barrettine and left them to dry for a couple of days.

The rest of the shed is painted with Ronseal one coat fence life paint, which is water-based.

I then tried to paint the barge boards with the Ronseal one-coat fence life paint, however, the Barrettine protective treatment is resin based and the Ronseal one coat shed paint won't stick to the Barrettine protective coat, it just beads off like water of a ducks back.

Since I want the barge boards to match the same color as the rest of the shed, does anyone have an idea how I can get the Ronseal one-coat paint to stick on the Barrettine protective treatment?

Sponsored Links
The Barrentine should let you overcoat once its aged. Not sure how long it will take though.

Its been a couple of weeks since the Barrentine was applied, seems like the Ronseal shed paint wont stick at all, which isn't a surprise now that I realize the Barrentine is resin based and waterproof whereas the Ronseal shed paint is water based.

Maybe I need to apply a primer or undercoat so that the Ronseal paint can stick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back