Painting Over Different Coloured Walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I just moved into a new flat, and I'd love to paint the living room, but I need some advice from the experts first!

Currently, three of the walls are a darkish red colour, and the fourth wall is an off-white/beige. I'm going to paint all four walls the same lightish grey (which I've been told is a good colour for obliterating reds?), but I'm worried the three walls won't match the fourth one once they've all been painted (because of the two hugely different colours underneath).

So what can I do to ensure all four walls match? Also (and this is probably a stupid question) what's the best way to get an accurate colour from tester pots given the colours in the room at present? Should I just paint them onto a bit of card or something??

Hope I've explained myself correctly, and thank you in advance for all replies! :)

Sponsored Links
What paint are you painting over, eg, silk or matt and what is the intended colour of your finish coats.

Dec

Then you would be ok to apply the grey over all the walls, the amount of coats it will take to obliterate the red will depend on your application, slightly thinning your paint will tend to ease application.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed the tester pots, if you intend to use these apply them to a piece of card and not the wall. Yet these can often offer a differing shade and depth of colour and should only be used as a rough guide.

Dec

When I`ve been confronted with this problem I go over ALL the walls with a couple of coats of cheap white Matt Emulsion first, so you start off with an even colour all round the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back