Any prep needed for painting colour over different colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have pale (clear sky) blue colour on plaster walls and want to paint in a darker red/purple shade. Do I need to make the walls white again to get a true colour for the new paint or can I happily slap on 2 coats of the new and it look as it should? :)

Sponsored Links
Gentle rub down to get any nibs off and paint away. You might need more coats with a stong colour like red or purple though.

Just give it two coats of your final colour, that'll be better, because although you may not think so, a dark colour like purple may not cover the white in one, especially on your cutting in.

I will start with confidence now that I am doing the right thing and it will look fabulous once completed! :)

Sponsored Links
Do you have the product KILZ in the UK? We have used it several times. It is the product to do exactly what you want to do.
It is made to especially cover dark paint if you want to paint over it.

Hope this helps.

Kitchencarts360romona

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back