Do I need an undercoat everywhere if I'm painting a light colour over an existing dark and light wall in the same room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to paint my living room but there are currently two different shades of blue - one is aqua blue and the other is a darker blue (royal blue). I've chosen a much lighter colour (off-white) to replace both colours. From my understanding, I'll need to add a white undercoat to the dark blue colour and then maybe 2 coats of the off-white. However, if I don't add the undercoat to the aqua blue do you think the colour difference will be noticeable? Or is it best to add the undercoat everywhere to ensure an even shade throughout?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are you using water or oil based paints? Walls or woodwork?

If walls, 2 or three coats of a decent emulsion (eg Dulux Trade, not Dulux) should cover dark emulsion if you additionally use a decent roller.

A coat of grey matt will cover the old and give a regular base colour. It obliterates better than white or pale colours.

Sponsored Links
It may take 3 coats but there shouldn't be a need for any undercoat mixed in. I'm guessing it'd be water based paints? You need a decent emulsion rather than some thin cheap stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back