Painting over lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have the majority of walls with vertically hung lining paper that has been painted.

The walls are all in good condition and appear to be flat and smooth. The main downside is the lining paper joins showing.

I was debating whether to remove the lining paper to paint the walls, but removing painted lining paper would not be easy, and we could end up with walls that look worse in appearance than what we have now?

If we do emulsion over the previously painted lining paper, should we do any prep on the paper first? Also, is there any good technique or product that can help disguise the joins?

Sponsored Links
If the overlap is not significant, what exactly is causing the joins to be visible?

(Maybe post a photo?)

Sponsored Links
Why do you think it will be hard to remove the lining paper?
Get a steam stripper and it's easy.
If the walls are good underneath, fill any knocks & holes, rub them down & paint them.

Here's pictures of 3 different joins. As you can see, the first two are easily noticed, while the third is hardly noticeable at all.

IMAG0618.jpg IMAG0620.jpg IMAG0621.jpg

Perhaps the wallpaper would strip off easy, but it seems a lot of work (stripping, filling, sanding all of the downstairs walls, plus the landing walls) when they don't look THAT bad as is. I thought there may have just been a good "trick" to hiding the joins that do stand out.

The first pic looks like a gap.
The second pic looks like an overlap.

Is that right?

I'd leave it and paint over it. Consider why someone felt the need to line the wall in the first place. You could be making a lot of work for yourself.

Cheers
Richard

You can fill gaps, but I doubt that would work well for overlaps. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion, but if it were me I'd be tempted to run a Stanley knife either side of the overlap and try to remove that sliver, and the fill the gap.

You can fill gaps, but I doubt that would work well for overlaps. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion, but if it were me I'd be tempted to run a Stanley knife either side of the overlap and try to remove that sliver, and the fill the gap.

This does seem like the best idea to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back