Painting over backing paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently removed some wall paper from our living room walls which leaves behind what I'm assuming is backing paper as it's a little furry to touch. There is a thin layer of lining paper underneath the backing paper if it's pealed away.

My question is can I paint over the backing paper? or do I need to prepare it in any way? I have pasted down the lifted edges and as it stands the backing paper gives the walls a even finish. I know if I remove the backing paper and lining paper the walls will need prep etc (1950's house)

We want to have a painted finish on the walls but know the plaster will need alot of work to get it smooth and even to paint.

Please can someone provide some recommendations...

Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
You may have a problem if you do paint the backing paper. It tends to be tissue-thin and will allow any emulsion (water-based) to penetrate and loosen the adhesive, thereby creating bubbles and peeling paper. You could try, but don't be surprised if the paper lifts.

I would do the job properly, strip off the walls and clean off, reline if necessary

half measures never work .

Sponsored Links
I agree that you should remove it. Not only are you likely to encounter problems with bubbling but you can also get staining from the paste bleeding through. Backing paper is designed to remain on the wall as a lining paper for the next time you wallpaper (even though it rarely stays completely adhered when stripped), not for painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back