Painting over old and patchy paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas on how to best go about painting over old, patchy and well adhered paint? I've taken the wall paper off my kitchen walls and have been left with well adhered and patchy paint. From previous experience, I know just painting over this will just show the problem and not hide it.
I had planned to have the wall skimmed, but with the current situation, that's not an option. I have time, and was wanting some advice on the matter. I have tried scraping, but because the paint is so well adhered, I end up putting grooves into the plaster.

I'd appreciate hearing about any well tried and successful solutions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why don’t you have a look at putting cladding on it. There are loads of nice variations and not expensive as well. Hope this helps.

Having had this problem my self it was more a cost issue on the walls getting skimmed. I decided not to and did the following...

hand scraper to remove any loose paint.

hand sanding block to take any lumps and bumps out. Also feather edges of obvious steps in paint layers.

Apply filler to cracks and holes. Sand.

Give everything a good clean/hoover.

Buy some crack paint like this.
https://www.diy.com/departments/polycell-crack-free-white-matt-emulsion-paint-2-5l/127228_BQ.prd

There are other brands available at B&Q and in bigger sized tins. Seems expensive but it’s worth it. 2 coats if possible. It’s a thicker consistency than emulsion and you can tell there is an additive of some kind - obviously for cracks etc.

Check for further unevenness/cracks/bumps etc. Repeat filling and sanding if required. Then locally slap on the crack paint again.

Once somewhat happy, apply your choose colour final top coat emulsion. Use a good brand here with minimum 2 coats.

The end result will not be 100% perfect. BUT it will be pretty good and will be cheaper than a plasterer. Try it.

Sponsored Links
I'm painting a very old WWII holiday hut which is now in my back garden after moving it from a Derbyshire farm 25 years ago. I replaced lots of the wood timbers and panels then but it is starting to allow moisture into the bottom of the panels. I am cutting away the rotten sections and replacing them with 6-12 inch painted panels that can be replaced in the future. Maybe adding a skirt of sacrificial panels would have been a plan from the start.
I have primed the panels and then gone over the cracks with a toolstation weatherproof sealant. An electric sander to take the edges flat and then a fine sealant to fill the dots left. Once this has dried it will be a case of adding an undercoat or two which is a great way of relieving bumpy or cracked paint surfaces and then a top gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back