Patchy paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Decorating our kitchen at the minute. One of the walls we are doing in a deep red. We first bought kitchen paint, even after two coats the wall was very patchy, you could even see a pencil mark on the wall where I had circled an area for filling prior to painting. I thought the paint may have been a bad mix / batch, so took it back to B&Q and explained the situation. I was advised to give it two coats of white matt to 'even out' the colour, then he replaced the 'kitchen' paint with Dulux 'Endurance' which he said is tougher. Even now after a further two coats the wall is still patchy, not as bad as previous but patchy.

What could be causing this? This is the last room to decorate after moving in and non of the other 10 rooms have reacted this way. If this is still patchy after a third coat I am taking it back and buying normal matt paint in the same colour.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I have just telephoned Dulux. This colour of paint NEEDS another coat of red matt applied first to help build up the colour. Dulux informed me that when B&Q mixed this colour, a message pops up on their mixing station advising this. I asked Dulux to put this in an email for ammo, I can then head back down to B&Q for another free tin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back