patchy wall over new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had the existing plaster board wall re skimmed, when dry painted with a white base coat then with a top coat of a tinted light colour this dryed patchy. Gave it a second coat patchy and same again gave third coat and still patchy. Then sealed the wall with PVA let dry and re painted but still patchy painted again but patchy. Sandpapered all wall re painted but still patchy.

Can anyone help dont know what else to try

Sponsored Links
Best guess is your using a cheap emulsion from homebase or B&Q or similar.
Shame you pva'd it cos the paint covering is the least of your worries now.

thanks for your response only just seen your mail, i was advised to use the pva before re painting, is there any way around this now or will i have to sand it all off. dont really know what to do next, what issues have i caused now from doing this ?

your help is much appreciated,

Thanks
Ste

Your inital problem could have been caused as dcdec has said by using a cheap emulsion it may also have been bad application or indeed a combination of both, by applying PVA you have created a surface that the paint cannot bond with.

Really speaking you should strip back and seal with an oil based primer sealer that would be the permanent cure, I can see your reluctant to do this so apply a thinned coat of oil based undercoat and allow to dry before you carry on with your emulsion, this will ensure that the moisture content of your emulsion wont reactivate the pva.

Good luck

Dec

Sponsored Links
i was advised to use the pva before re painting,
There’s your problem, whoever told you that is a total Muppet. Now you can only follow Dec’s advice but you’ve created an awful lot of work for yourself. I’d send a bill (or a poke in the eye) to whoever told you to use PVA on new plaster before painting, they haven’t got a clue; hope it wasn’t your plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back