Uneven paint coverage - after 3 coats! Advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I painted a wall three times with a Crown Matt paint - a dark colour onto a cream wall. However after 3 coats it is still patchy. When I look at in the evening there are areas that are matt and areas with a sheen. I used a pad to apply the paint. Is it the paint, my technique or the plaster that was on the wall originally??

Any advice greatly received

Cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links
Used a pad to apply the pa1nt.

No, use a brush, a pad can take a b1t of exper1ence w1th certa1n colours.

Repa1r the l1ghter shades w1th a brush, let dry, then go over w1th a brush.

Sounds l1ke the plaster wasn't prepared proper 1n the f1rst place.

Or, re seal and repa1nt brush/ roller.

Hi

Thanks for the advice - I tried repainting a section very carefull with a brush - trying to get an even covergae - that is 4 coats on the bit of wall now and it is still patchy and where I touched up some bits that I thought I'd missed they stand out like a sore thumb now. I think it's just the colour of the paint and maybe the qualit of the paint - but it is Crown so should be OK.

Sponsored Links
Hello

evening there are areas that are matt and areas with a sheen. I used a pad

Cheers

Nick

This is called flashing, usually caused by overbrushing an area of paint that has began to set, but is not dry, caused by (sometimes) not keeping the edge wet (green) . Try to work with the edge fresh, keep pad roller loaded, dont keep painting till the brush/roller is almost dry.. Need to keep the paint film even and fluid at same rate...something that you need to practice. Work quickly but not madly... :)

Maybe the dark colour is a strong (poor covering) colour needs extra coats anyway?

Good luck

[/code]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back