Painting over old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In need of some advice here. I had to repaint a wall and there were a few bubbly areas where the paint had bubbled and cracked. As I started to prepare the wall, the paint was just peeling away in large sheets back to the plaster. The bare plaster is dry and there are no damp issues but when I run my hand across it it is a bit chalky on my hand.

If you have a look at the photos you'll see that most of it has come away but there are a few areas where it just won't budge so I'll leave those bits.

Few questions:

1)There is a crack above the door frame (see photo), I have scraped this out and removed any loose plaster. Do I just polyfilla this or should I use something else.
2)In terms of preparing the wall I need to get a smooth surface as the bits of paint that are still on the wall are raised from the plaster. How should I do this, should I apply a thin layer of joint compound?
3)Do I need to seal the plaster? Would you recommend any zinsser products?

Sponsored Links
I would keep bursting out anything that is coming. Then I would take a brush and paint around any of the holes that require filling. Once that dries, I would fill those holes in the normal way. In short, try to get some sort of coat onto anything that is raw close to the holes before filling.That would be my advice. I have had plasterboard tear back on me, and I've managed to get it finished to a point where you wouldn't notice there had ever been a big problem. You could consider lining paper if it is really bad but get your filling done before lining. There are various solutions available that you can add to your paint to help it 'take'.

Best advice is to just get at it. You can hardly ruin it when it is already bad. You will only improve it!!

how old is the house, and the old paint?

Sponsored Links
House is late sixties, plaster is sound. Paint is probably 10 or 20 years I would say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back