Painting over softsheen (on silk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
just after a bit of advice, I'm in the middle of repainting my lounge white. The room had dark silk (I believe) paint on the walls before. I read that I shouldn't put matt straight over so I went for brilliant white dulux soft sheen.
I've now done one coat of that and I'm wondering whether it looks too 'bathroomy' for a lounge and I'm wondering if I'd be safe to apply matt over my one coat of soft sheen?

...and then, if so- would I be daft to? Is it in my head that soft sheen will look silly in a lounge or am I right?!

Thanks in advance!

diyer2011

Sponsored Links
Matt does give a nicer finish and disguises minor imperfections better, but there is nothing silly about soft sheen.
Lots of people have it because it is more durable than matt without the heavier shine of silk.
If you do decide to cover it with matt then it is worth rubbing the walls down lightly with fine sandpaper to provide a good key.

Thanks for your reply, decided I'll go with softsheen (unless it looks terrible!) just done my third coat of it and can't tell if I'm being paranoid or whether it needs another coat! There's only so long you can stare at paint drying... will see what it looks like in daylight - hope it doesn't ,mind, dulux softsheen is bleedin expensive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back