Painting over stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the past, I have stained the wood surrounding my garage door (rather dark stain). I now want to use paint instead (a light colour) and my books tell me that I should (after sanding) use oil based primer before using undercoat and top gloss. I see Dulux is advertising Primer/Sealer/Undercoat all in one but can't find any suppliers. Apart from this one, the only other I can find states Aluminium on the tin. Can anyone advise me, if I use the ordinary water based primer/undercoat would that be OK? Any help would be very much appreciated as I am going round in circles. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply, it sounds exactly what I need and not too expensive. It will also come in useful for a room I am decorating at the moment too, dark blue to a cream. Again, many thanks.

Footprints, sorry to bother you again but I have bought the Zinsser as you suggested and have sanded down the stain to remove flaky bits etc., I am going to use a gloss as a top coat and thought I should use two coats of Zinsser before that. Do I need to sand down between coats of Zinsser and do I need an undercoat before applying the gloss? Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how much dust has stuck to the first coat normally as it dries in an hour you can paint the second coat straight on, also it avoids cutting through to expose the surface again.
Zinsser dries in an hour but takes about two weeks to cure fully, it that time it is fairly easy to scrape it off but after curing it sticks like you know what!
You don't need to wait for full curing before top coating just a couple of hours, but I mentioned it as you need to be a little careful about knocks and abrasions like rubbing down.

If your top coat requires white undercoat you can go right ahead and paint it on, but if it needs a coloured one of course you will need to use that.

Zinsser is a primer/undercoat the only advantage of using a dedicated undercoat is that they tend to have more "bulk" and can help the surface to level covering minor imperfections, I wouldn't worry on a garage door surround it's not like you are trying to get a mirror finish on a bit of furniture.(y)

Thank you for all the information. The weather has been so good here today I have managed to put two coats of Sandtex on the garage brickwork, will do the woodwork tomorrow with two coats of Zinsser. Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome, hope the weather holds for you.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back