Painting over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience of painting over bathroom tiles? I know you can buy tile paint, but I am a bit hesitant about it as I feel that it might not look nice and then it'll be too late. My whole bathroom is tiled top to bottom and I can't face retiling it! I don't know anyone who has painted over tiles who have no-one to ask.

Sponsored Links
try a search, but i think the general opinion is not good.

why not cut some flowers or simialr out of good old sticky back plasyic and stick those on at random, f you dont like it / get fed up peel them off

There are quite a few speciality paints out there...one of the best ive come across is dulux ultra grip...its a two pack system and very good.

Not cheap, but it does the job.

Sponsored Links
I painted the tiles in my bathroom when we first moved in, 7 years ago. Well they were pink! It was meant to be a temporary measure, but they actually lasted until last year when I ripped them all off and re-tiled.
I used International tile primer followed by International tile paint. Both were applied using a gloss roller and gave an excellent finish. Just paint over everything (grout as well) and you'll hardly ever see any mouldy grout again. Oh and wash the walls with sugar soap before you start painting.
It was only a problem around the bath seal. The bath we had then had sloped edges so that water pooled against the tiled wall. It was like this at both sides so it wasn't like it was fitted off level. This meant that after a while it did get a bit marked with mildew and when cleaning it it was possible to chip the paint so that you need to re-touch with a small paintbrush.
I don't think I'd bother painting tiles again though. I know it's more work and considerably more expense but re-tiling is the way to go.
Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and the outcome,
Cheers,
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back