painting over vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sure this has been asked before but the search engine on this site fails to reveal anything.

I want to emulsion over vinyl wallpaper using a matt paint - if its not possible I'll have to strip off the old paper and put some up just to paint, ho hum.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ive seen it done but never done it myself...first coat vinyl silk(better adhesion to the vinyl surface)..second coat matt.

But not all vinyls are the same..what your doing is basically painting over plastic, which has its risks.

You could go for a primer first such as dulux supergrip or zinseer 123..

Personally, I would not try it. If it was not successful, there would be even more work removing the paint, then the vinyl, which would be a nasty little job.
I would try peeling the vinyl off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice gents ( presumably) Am working to a time scale at my mothers home trying to get it all done before new carpet fitted this Mon. She 74 and can imagine room full of clutter. Will probably take the safe option and peel off vinyl layer if possible. This likely to save time in the long run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back