Painting over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to paint directly over wallpaper? The paper is stuck to plasterboard really well and won't come off easy at all, but it is all in great condition, no lifts and the seams are really good. It is a flat patterned paper. I was going to paint vinyl matt over it. Am I good to go? :)

Sponsored Links
Hi....It should be fine :D Just do a wet brush test first....Just brush some water on to the paper ....to check if the paper dry's back....It it does it should be fine to paint....Hope this helps...:cool:

Tempted to do this myself following on from a 'colouring' incident with my 3 yr old. Let me know how you go on?

Some papers take better to being painted that others - depends on the finish. Some won't take, others look like that's what they were designed for.

Sponsored Links
Most wallpapers can be overpainted (with the exception of some vinyls) but some coloured/printed papers suffer from the dye bleeding when painted with water based paints. Try a test patch first, allow it to dry and if you don't get this problem you should be fine to continue. If the dye does bleed you can use a thinned oil based undercoat or a stain blocking paint like Zinsser Coverstain to seal the paper first before applying your emulsion.

Thanks for your advice guys :D All taken on board ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back