Oh Gawd this wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hallways had an old floral patterned vinyl wallpaper. It looked quite sound but was a really loud pattern. I wanted this stripped off and just painted.
His Lordship has painted over the vinyl wallpaper. The actual pattern and colour has disappeared but there are all lumpy bits all over. It has to go.
It almost looks like there was half stripped paper underneath the vinyl.
Am I really going to have to strip the whole lot - I'm even more reluctant now as it's been resealed by two coats of paint.
Is there any other way to deal with it - like really really thick wallpaper to hide the whole bl***y lot?
Any views appreciated.

Sponsored Links
fraid you are really going to have tp strip the whole lot.

you have just found out the hard way that there is only one way to do a job, that way being the proper way.

I would suggest you hire a steamer from hire shop and score the paper then steam it off

Yep, agreed has to come off. Don't hire a steamer though, just buy one. they are very cheap now and will probably be less than the hire cost anyway. Before stripping the paper, its a good idean to rough the surface up to enable the steam to penetrate the paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back