Paper over Zinsser Wallpaper Cover Up?

5 Mar 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've used some (a lot) of Zinssers Wallpaper Cover Up to prime and cover some vinyl wallpaper, with the intention of painting over with emulsion (as directed on the instructions). The Zinssers has done a brilliant job of adhering to the vinyl, but I think the walls would benefit from a layer of lining-paper before painting (I have some Wallrock Fibreliner to hand).

Do any of you wonderful people know if the Fibreliner (using the Wallrock Power Adhesive) will adhere to the Zinssers Wallpaper Cover Up? Or if it'll need a coat of emulsion first?

Sponsored Links
It should be fine.

I haven't used CoverUp but it is spirit based which means that the water in the new lining paper adhesive shouldn't reactivate the old water based glue in the old paper.

To be safe, make sure that you stagger the joins so that they don't sit directly over the old joins in the previous paper.

From memory, lining paper is 560mm wide, standard wallpaper is 540mm.

If you are worried about overlapping joins you can run the fibreliner at right angles, ie horizontally (known as cross lining).
Brilliant. Thank you. The Fibreliner I have is 1000mm, but I'll cross line just for belts-and-braced. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links