Painting over water stained ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0DC97803-1D82-4468-8D01-644A36ADD8D7.png
Leak came through upstairs flat. Source of leak fixed. I let it dry out. I’ve used bleach water all over the stains to reduce the severity of the stain and it’s faded quite a lot just outlines and a little staining left. I’ve let it dry again.

I’m planning to use ‘Zinsser Covers Up Vertical Ceiling Spray Paint’ to cover up these water stains. It’s a solvent based paint and matches to the ceilings current paint. Any one had any experiences with this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes fine for small patches, whole ceiling use Zinsser Bullseye 123. You may have some "flashing" that is the treated area when painted with topcoat might look different in certain lights due to the undercoat being applied by spray not roller, but a couple of coats usually sorts that out. Best to go over the treated area once then give the whole ceiling a coat or two depending on how good the existing paint finish is.

Also not unusual for the stain to come through the first coat of stain blocker but it will then stay locked in and a second coat of blocker will cover it fine, that's just how they work.

That will work. It will take longer for any top coats of emulsion to dry on any places with stain block so don't worry if at first the finish is looking different as it will eventually dry the same!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back