stain blocking products

When I had to touch up a dry damp stain, I used Dulux Damp Seal primer and undercoat. It is water-based. It is suitable for dry and wet stains.

I used it because, like you, I was worried an oil-based primer would show through the emulsion.

I used two coats of this quick drying product, and the stain didn't bleed through, and there was no evidence of this primer showing through the emulsion.

Sponsored Links
When I had to touch up a dry damp stain, I used Dulux Damp Seal primer and undercoat. It is water-based. It is suitable for dry and wet stains.

I used it because, like you, I was worried an oil-based primer would show through the emulsion.

I used two coats of this quick drying product, and it worked very well, and there was no evidence of this primer showing through the emulsion.

Is this it? i hope so as i am 2 mins from a screwfix :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dulux-damp-seal-white-750ml/915fg

That's what I used.

It's always more likely a stain will not bleed through with an oil-based primer, but this may work for you as regards to not seeing the primer grinning through the emulsion.

Obviously I can't guarantee anything...

ok ill give it a go, if it doesn't work i'll get the zinsser, thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
sorry just one more question....

what made you choose this one and not the dulux stain block?

cheers

I had the tin already, it was for another job. A wall which had suffered water damage, and was half expecting future water damage.

The Dulux Stain Block sounds good, perhaps I should have suggested this.

Both water-based, I suspect there is little difference...

The dulux stain block has got mixed reviews a few have said it didn’t cover water marks, I went for the damp seal, it’s had two generous coats and it’s covered the stain nicely.

There is a slight sheen to it but I’m going to go over it with the dulux Matt tomorrow and hopefully it will blend in the ceiling and hopefully the stains don’t come through….

Don't worry if at first the Matt coat looks very shiny as it's drying over the block. This is normal as the matt takes much longer to dry on these patches but will eventually dry matt.

Ok thanks

So had a look this morning and I’m sure I can see feint yellow showing through, I mean feint!
It’s had two coats, should I bother with another or go for the zinsser cover stain, will the zinsser be ok on top of the dulux damp seal?
Thanks

I use the zinsser probably twice a week and it always works for me. Even lets you paint on silicon! This would alwYs be my go to choice and if I don't have any , oil based undercoat will work good enough on a small stain. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try another coat of what you have before buying zinsser

Update….

So the stain was slowly coming back through the dulux damp seal.

I bought some zinsser coverstain and put two coats of that over the whole area and left it overnight, when it was dry I was surprised how Matt it looked when it was dry considering it’s oil based. When it was drying it looked a yellowish colour but by morning it was a nice flat white.

I applied two coats of my dulux white Matt emulsion over the zinsser and when it was dry there wasn’t a trace of patching or unevenness, if I stand under it with my phones torch it looks flawless and blends perfectly with the rest of the ceiling.

So this has been a success and I wish I’d just gone for the zinsser to begin with but never mind it’s all sorted now.

thanks for all the help and take care

Sorry you bought the Dulux stuff and had no luck.

You would be more than justified in returning it as it didn't work, and get your money back.

Or if you haven't used very much, make sure the tin is cleaned up and return it saying you don't need it.

Screwfix are good for accepting products back.

Hi

I did exactly that, I returned and said it simply hadn’t worked and they refunded without an issue, this is why I buy as much as possible from screwfix, they don’t stock the zinsser coverstain so I had to go to toolstation for that.

The dulux was £12.99 and the zinsser was £9 so happy days.

thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back