Painting over water stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We recently had a bedroom completely replastered. Once the plaster was dry, we used white emulsion mixed 50 50 with water to paint all the walls and ceiling. We did 2 coats like this and then the final coat was 100% white emulsion and it looks great.

Unfortunately, our roof has since had a leak and there is a large area of water staining in the bedroom on the ceiling and on the top of the wall. Our roofer is coming to fix the problem on Tuesday.

Once I've given it a week or so to dry out, how do I go about covering up the staining? I'm hoping we don't have to remove the plaster and can just paint over it? Can I just use 100% emulsion again or will this not work?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
water stains will probably bleed through subsequent coats of water based emulsion.

I tend to use Zinsser BIN to cover them. It is shellac based and dries very quickly. (use a throw away brush, or purchase household ammonia to clean the brush). Then paint over it will your emulsion. It ain't cheap though. If you have some oil based emulsion, you can use that instead but you will have to wait 16 hours to recoat

unless the plaster is blown (sounds hollow when you tap it) you should be ok to leave it and just BIN/etc over it.

BIN is great for water stains, I'd use a mini foam roller to put it on the water stained ceiling so you don't see brush marks when you go over it with the emulsion.

Sponsored Links
BIN is great for water stains, I'd use a mini foam roller to put it on the water stained ceiling so you don't see brush marks when you go over it with the emulsion.

Foam rollers will double in length and go floppy if you use them for more than a few minutes though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back