Painting over woodstain - Zinseer or Farow and Ball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm repainting all the windows in my house white - inside only - they are currently a reddish brown woodstain.

I've completed the first room but I'm not happy with the finish. I used Zinseer Coverstain to ensure that the woodstain would never bleed through, and then Zinseer Permawhite Interior Semi gloss as the top coat. This was tricky to apply and left horrible brush marks unless a heavier coat was applied in which case it ran terribly. Surfaces were rubbed down between coats......

Any ideas on the best combination primer / top coat. I want a hardwearing surface that stays white and does not yellow over time. A friend recently mentioned Farrow and Ball gloss - this is a water based alkyd paint which is meant to be far superior to the water based acrylics. Has any ones used it or have any other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your technique isn't up to the job. Never tried a paint yet that was unpaintable. Did you thin it a touch?

It sounds like your technique isn't up to the job. Never tried a paint yet that was unpaintable. Did you thin it a touch?

I've been painting around the house for the last 20 yrs and never had the problem so I like to think it's not my technique, but there again its my first time with his type of paint. Reading some reviews on the Zinseer suggest that the brushmarks are a common problem.

Use johnstones aqua undercoat and gloss applied with a good synthetic brush.

Sponsored Links
Use johnstones aqua undercoat and gloss applied with a good synthetic brush.

I am a big fan of the Johnstones Aqua system, especially the gloss, and would recommend it without reservation.

I use the zinsser permawhite for rentals where tenants have complained about mould growth and I have always found it easy to work with. A bit of water does help, but I cant help wondering what brush you are using.

Joe means water. thinning instructions are on the tin, failing that, they will be on the Zinsser website. they have technical data sheets on all their products. Although permawhite is designed to be used un-thinned, a dash of water will do no harm at all and should make it easier to work with. always read the product info before thinning.

I would try a better brush first though as mentioned above

Joe means water. thinning instructions are on the tin, failing that, they will be on the Zinsser website. they have technical data sheets on all their products. Although permawhite is designed to be used un-thinned, a dash of water will do no harm at all and should make it easier to work with. always read the product info before thinning.

I would try a better brush first though as mentioned above

Many thanks for the advice - I'll try a new brush as it looks like that is my issue.

Most decorators run a mile from Farrow and Ball

I dont have a problem with F&B paint. I like the wb eggshell very much. I dislike the company, their pricing, and customer care. but the paint, I get good results with.

I recall using their emulsion once. The pigment wasn't mixed properly, the cream paint had red dots in it as i rolled it. Their response- "yes sir it is a characteristic of our paints, you need to stir it for 10 minutes". Their Own tech support were too dumb to accept that pigment the size of a grain of sand would not be dispersed by stirring.

their exterior eggshell does flow well when floetrol is added, shame it doesn't survive our weather.

i would rather use little Greene than farrow and balls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back