Painting Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my stone walls replastered with limelite renovating plaster with multifinish. As the stone is uneven, in places it is up to 2" thick.

The plasterer said that as soon as the multi finish looks dry then it'd be fine.

It looks dry to me so I've walloped it with matt (1st coat watered down as a primer) and I'm getting more flakes than an ice cream man gives out on a hot summers day

Any tips greatly appreciated!

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
was it a vinle matt

Id ask the same question actually....vinyl matt will seal the wall and inhibit it 'breathablity'

You should go go contract matt....or 'paint for new plaster' as dulux used to call it.

I did a stone wall building years ago...it was either going to have to be distemper... :( or limewash :( :( ...

I talked the owners into contract matt and its been fine.

The other reason it could be flaking it a reaction between the 'hot' and alkali rich surface of the plaster and the paint.

so there's more than 1 kind of matt eh! *******s

The question now is, any tips on how to get vinyl matt off a freshly plastered wall!

Incidentally, how long is it before you can use a vinyl based paint on freshly plastered walls???

Incidentally none are dry lined

Cheers for that advice!

Sponsored Links
I would use a filling knite...the blades are thinner and easier to get under the paint film.

You should always use contract (non vinyl) matt if your painting over plastering that is on anything but plasterboard,

Unless its on a wall that only has a thin skim of plaster over say....a sand and cement, or bonding base that you know to be well dry.

You could use a vinyl emulsion after a good few months......people used to say you shouldnt paint a wall for six months, but that was a thing that came from years back when products were different.

But i wouldnt risk a vinyl emulsion over the type of walls you have..being the construction they are they will probably need to breathe

Given the fact that most people dont want to look at bare walls for months then they are normally decorated sooner rather than later.

Having said all this though, just because someone paints a wall a little to soon with a vinl emulsion it doesnt mean that its going to peel off everytime.....but if it does....that will be the reason.

If the drying process is speeded up by the introduction of heat then that can bring problems also...people are fooled into beleiing that the wall is dry, when in reality its only the first couple of millimetres, they take the heat away...paint the wall.....and the coldness in the rom draws more moisture through......and off comes the paint.

Sound like the flaking was cause by one of two factors......either way scrape it off if you can and leave it for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back