Painting "Pre primed" wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had some new stair parts installed. These were "Pre primed" from howdens.

I want to put satin paint over it and thinking of johnstones aqua system. I don't know if the Primer was water or solvent based. Does it matter?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would guess it’s oil based primer to prevent “bleed” from the wood. It should allow for water or solvent based paints to be used, it won’t hurt to very lightly sand with 120 grit wet and dry paper.

Blup

'Key' the surface with abrasive paper and apply the finish you (or the wife/customer) wants. The primer will have hardened by now.

Sponsored Links
I would guess it’s oil based primer to prevent “bleed” from the wood.

I would expect it to be waterbased, purely and simply because it is safer for employees to apply and normally dries faster. My local timber yard machines their own MDF skirtings and architraves. They use WB paints.

That said, I can't recall painting pre-primed timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back