Painting Radiator that has been Stripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have had a radiator stripped the other month as it had so many coats of paint on from the last person that lived here it needed doing before repainting again. I was unable to purchase a new radiator which i know would have been cheaper as i need to use the old one you see.

Now that i have the radiator back and stripped down how do i go about painting it again. Would you suggest i sand down still and clean and then prime.

If anyone can advise what prime paint and radiator paint i shoudl use.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Oil based primer - then I personally go for an egshell oil based finish - mixed to the wall colour :idea: " looses " even big rads - or a "rad enamel" if you want white . Paint it lying flat - no runs then ;)

Sponsored Links
As we want the rad white then i guest prime and then white enamal. or could i prime then undercoat and gloss

Chris

Dont use the undercoat. When primed apply two coats of thinned down gloss. If your using the enamel work very quickly as it dries very fast. Try not to breathe in the fumes off the enamel as these will probaby knock you out. :eek:

Sorry did not know that LOL as i am new to all this, What does the white spirt do to the gloss then.

Can i thin any gloss as in the cheap stuff or non drop stuff

Chris

You only use it with liquid gloss - not the non drip as it loses its jelly-like consistency.

With jelly paint, or Thixotropic as its called, if you stir it very quickly it will become more liquid like and can be painted on quite well but still retain its non drip properties.

But remember that Non-drip does not mean Non-run---you can still produce a poor outcome.

It works better as a jelly. It sort of slides along.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back