Painting skirting boards - carpet removal?

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd check your thoughts on this.
When painting skirting, is it always best to pull the carpet / underlay back, or are there any clever techniques to avoid this?
I've experimented with masking tape and newspapers, and apart from taking ages, I was concerned about "bleed through" onto the carpet. In the end, I ungripped the carpets and folded them back for a couple of feet.
I've seen "paint shields" in the sheds, but again, not confident in them to keep paint away from carpet. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, my personal DIY opinion is that it is best to roll the carpets back, better results, but at a cost. For instance you'd never catch a professional decorator doing this, far too time consuming. You also have to think that you may have to re-stretch the carpet.

Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the response.
If a pro wouldn't do this, what would they do? Just cut in as close as possible to the carpet?
Thanks

I have used one of those plastic shields and whilst it's obviously not as good as removing the carpet I have found it easy to use and if you are careful, no bleed through. When you consider that apart from the stairs a good majority of skirting is covered by furniture, chairs etc. What little paint is not covered is not really seen.
This is the difference between the professional and the not so professional.
The professional just gets on with it and the client doesn't notice. The non professional knows he has missed a bit and it irks him or her (not to be sexist)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip, Nstreet.
I hadn't noticed that stuff - I'll get some and give that a try.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
:D

I use 50mm masking tape, making sure that the edge is tucked into tight against the wall. Quick to lay, quick to pull up after the job. I don't let much paint get onto the tape anyway but it helps keep the paint off the carpet close to the skirting board. So long as the paint doesn't drip, and I don't let it because I'm a good painter ;) , then it works perfectly.

yep thats the stuff i use along with a nice piece of old aluminium office skirting. I just lay it down at the base of the skirting and cut in against it. any paint that gets on it can be easily wiped off. Its only about 500 mm long and works a treat

dont waste your time in pulling back the carpet, use stripes of thin ply , place up against the skirting board and nail to floor this will compress the carpet down u can use tape as well before fixing to the floor, the stripes are removed once dry and reused. 3 ply or 2 ply will do and is very cheap

ozhandyman, i dont suppose the OP is worried, he only asked 5 years ago

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back