Painting Small Entrance porch Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Everyone,
hope you are all doing well. am hoping someone can advise me on this please. i have this roof which seems to be made of some sort of tin. certainly sounds like an empty tin when it rains but am not sure what its actually made of. very noisy when it rains. please see pictures .

i would like to paint it as its looking very tired/rusty as you may be able to see from the pictures.

1.does anyone know what the roof might be made of to start with please? i know that's a difficult question as its only a picture.
2.can it be painted and should it be painted please? am worried it may start peeling off if i paint it.
3.what type of paint should i use please? i was thinking of Dulux Weathershield external paint from B&Q for wood and metal.
4.any advice on preparing the roof for painting?

many thanks and please see pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have no idea what the roof is made of. Initially I thought it might be zinc but the uprights that form the joins are seamless.

You might be better off posting your question in the roofing section.

My gut instinct would be to clean the roof and not paint it, and definitely not paint it with Weathershield.

I am very likely to be cometely wrong, but it looks strikingly like EPDM to me?
Have you touched the roof to see what it feels like?
As above, what ever material it is, it was most likely to be designed to be as maintenance free as possible - it may only need a good clean! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Certainly not lead, looks absolutely fine though to me. Have you tried some simple sudsy water and elbow grease if the appaerance bothers you that much?

thank you everyone for the responses. really appreciate you taking the time to respond. seems the consensus is to leave it alone.

what bothers me is the section at the front tip which seems like rusting and being at the front of the house and low, its not very nice looking at it everytime i come home:).
i will give that section a clean with soapy water and see if it gets better. strange that only that part at the front seems to be rusting, as the vast majority of the roof seems fine. thank you all once again

It just looks like grime and its occured there just because of how the wind and rain pelt around the walls, eventually the whole thing will probably be covered in grime to match.

Hi guys, wanted to update on this. You guys were absolutely correct that it’s accumulated grime/dirt. I was convinced it was rust but am wrong.
I took your advice and gave it a proper clean with just dishwasher detergent and scourer sponge. Washed off everything and it looks like new.
Thanks guys for the advice. Much appreciated

Attachments

• 68365CD3-1609-4770-93AB-7AA64A3FC4BD.jpeg
    68365CD3-1609-4770-93AB-7AA64A3FC4BD.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 937D905F-B243-4644-AD4D-37E9A1755216.jpeg
    937D905F-B243-4644-AD4D-37E9A1755216.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 51

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back