Painting stone mullions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat has very large stone mullion windows( 1880) with metal crital single glazing.

The gloss paint of many ages painted on the stone on the interior is blistering and I suspect the stone is crumbling underneath. Its a mess

It is not my responsibility to repair the mullions (that is the responsibility of the freeholder) and I am not expecting that to happen any time soon.

What is the best treatment for these mulions regarding painting them inside? I understand stone should breathe. Is there special paint?

Also there is much condensation coming of the metal framed crital windows. One room the painted stone is black with mould.

Would mould still form if the stone was stripped bare?

Sponsored Links
Hi , I take it the building is listed so window replacement is out. I had the same on a recent job with mould everywhere on the Mullions. I burnt the old paint off back to original, careful and wear a mask as it could have a lead content,and used Farrow and Ball distemper, it ain't cheap but it does the job and lets the substrate breath.

Hi , I take it the building is listed so window replacement is out. I had the same on a recent job with mould everywhere on the Mullions. I burnt the old paint off back to original, careful and wear a mask as it could have a lead content,and used Farrow and Ball distemper, it ain't cheap but it does the job and lets the substrate breath.

Thanks for your reply

It isn't listed. Does that change your recommendation?

Does the distemper inhibit mould?

Hi again, no not being listed dos'nt change my opinion I mentioned that because new windows, double glazed, will prevent the cold spot crital windows cause and hence the condensation problem which to be honest will not go away. It may also be worth checking the exterior condition of the mullions as in my experience they crack, part company from the stone/ brickwork etc and can cause water ingress to internal faces. Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry , also meant to post distemper will not inhibit mould, this mould can be caused by a multitude of problems that should be stopped at source i.e. consistant heating, no clothes drying within room etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back