Selection Of Paints For Bare Stone Sills ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some stone window sills sanded back to bare stone with all the paint removed. What are my best options to paint these and get a matt black finish.

The last painting I did on these window sills has lasted 10 years but the paint is now in a moderate condition and flaking in parts. I think I used a paint that was for stonework and gave them a couple of coats.

Do I need to use some type of primer or undercoat for bare stone sills and should I use any special type of paint for the final coat, ie, a rubberised paint etc?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
The painting that I did on the sills 10 years ago was with "International" floor paint. However, this was only to 3 ground floor level sills. The other sills such as those high up on the gable end are the ones with paint flaked off through age and neglect through generally being difficult to access. I have no knowledge on the history of the paint on those, however they are down to bare stone except for a few flaky remnants of a white paint.

I have though of using some Dulux Trade Weathershield smooth masonry paint on them after filling in the cracks with some rapid setting cement or Dulux Trade Weathershield filler. I am not sure if I should give them a precoat of Dulux Trade Weathershield Masonry Stabilising Primer before the masonry paint. The thing about the stabilising primer is that I can only locate it in 5 litre tins and I only need a small volume specifically for these sills.

While trying to read up on the subject I came across a product called "Stonelux" which claims to offer good options, however, I have no experience of the product so do not know how good it is. I have pasted a link below:

http://www.charlesproducts.co.uk/windowsills.htm

Rgds
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back