Gloss piant for stone lintels/sills?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Painting the outside of my house. Have used sandtex microseal masonry on the rendered surfaces. I need to paint the stone lintel/sills now. All the other houses on my street have a gloss black finish but the only paint I can find at the orange shed are matt masonry or gloss metal/wood paints?

Are the metal/wood paints suitable for stone? Are there gloss paints specifically for stone?

Any help appreciated!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Prep the sills in the normal way, sand, fill, dust off etc. two coats of oil based undercoat, dark grey, and one coat of oil based black gloss. they will be fine on stone. Although the tins says metal, wood, you can paint almost any other surface aswell, as long as its prepped right.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have a similar situation which I hope someone can help me with. The front of my victorian terrace (including the lintels and window sills) was painted back in the 80s and I have had to have the house rendered recently. I sanded the lintels and sills down to bare stone and intend to paint them like the other houses on the street. Someone told me that I should seal them before painting so I bought some evo stik super evo bond pva type stuff (it says "sealer, primer, admixture, adhesive" on the front in a red and white tub).

i diluted it 5:1 with water as instructed and started to paint the lintels. However my local decorating shop said that this is the wrong thing to do and the paint will peel off so now I don't know what to do! The pva has left a misty white type finish and I'm worried now that i have made a surface that paint won't stick to.

Should I sand it down or will undercoat go over it? And will one coat of undercoat do as with the weather at the moment I don't have much time to get it done.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back