Painting tiles, removing old tile paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I painted my tiles in my bathroom a few years back, now some of paint is chipping off and becoming messy and tatty looking.

Is it better chipping all the paint off and starting again? or could i chip off all the bits that are needed and apply new tile paint over this?

would it show the areas which have been chipped away or is there a way around this? There would be quite a looked tile paint to chip away

thanks for any responses in advance

=====================
see forum rule 5, your title has been edited

Sponsored Links
I would try rubbing down the old paint and concentrate my efforts on the areas where the paint has chipped away with some medium and then fine glass paper before repainting the tiles.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

I dont see why people paint on tiles it looks god awfull, well mine is, who ever done it should be shot ! Iam in the process of removing the god awfull orange stuff with a steamer if that aint no good I'll have to use a chemical

Sponsored Links
hi

is the best thing to do remove all the paint or could i get away with scrappin away the chipped paint and applying new tile paint on top?

See my above post, it already answered the question.

I did not recommend scraping paint.... :rolleyes:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

chemical strippers work very well on glazed tiles, apply, wait a bit and it almost dust's off in sheets. (guess this is because stripper cant saok into glazed tile). To paint I used to just dull the tiles with fine wet&dry then one or two coats of gloss only, dont use undercoat. But I did some glazed tiles recently and after cleaning used 'Owatrol ESP' as a primer.
good luck

allymillsy

chemical strippers

what they forgot to say is make sure you ventilate the room ,

as the fumes may get you flying out of the room
or being carried out ... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back