Painting/tiling onto a bathroom wallboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've seen a few similar posts on this forum but the answers seem to contradict each other so not sure which advice to go for so am asking my own question.

I have just extended my upstairs bathroom and have created a new stud wall (between bathroom and bedroom) and blocked up the old doorway with studwork too. (part of the extension was to remove the old airing cupboard, so this cupboard doorway is now the new bathroom doorway).

I have bought 12.5mm wallboard and was planning on using this to create the stud wall and old doorway wall on the bathroom side. I also have some exterior grade plywood (approx 5mm thick) - which I thought I would need to put on top of the plasterboard, in order to prevent the plasterboard from soaking up moisture.

I have now got confused by some messages saying - dont bother with plywood - just get bathroom paint straight onto the plasterboard, some messages saying, you can tile directly onto the plasterboard, others saying not to, some saying it needs to be sealed with PVA first etc.

I'll explain my bathroom layout and if you could give advice on how to prepare my walls i would very much appreciate it.

The new stud wall (2.4 metres long) will remain fairly dry. This wall will have my new vanity unit furniture up against it, including sink and wc. I will attach a large mirror to this wall and perhaps two rows of tiles - level with the top of the vanity units, the rest of this wall, will just be painted.

The old doorway, will pretty much not have anything against it either. The new bath will run from the opposite wall, towards this door but it will stop about 20 cm before this new wall. However, there is a chance this wall could get sprayed by a shower hose (damn kids ;) ). There will be no actual shower in this bathroom , just a hose on the bath. I would like this new doorway stud work (and all around the bath) to be tiled from floor to ceiling - so this new stud doorway needs to be able to support the tiles and be waterproofed.

Please could you let me know, how i should attach the wallboard, plywood, pva, tiles, or whether the plasterboard requires any prep work before tiling /painting, etc on each of these two different walls.

Many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back