Painting Touched Up Painted Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, recently bought my first house and am about to tackle painting my first room. I've literally never painted a wall so just wanted to check I was heading about it in the right way!

The wall had a few drywall anchors in from where shelves were previously hung, I've filled over these and sanded back and the walls now look like the below.

10881300_10152456438915936_1317116292_n.jpg

Obviously the existing paint had a bit of texture to it as you can see, and I've now got a few very smooth patches where I've repaired the wall. Will these smooth patches show through the layers of paint that I'll put on? Or will applying the paint reapply some texture to the wall?

Secondly, I'm going to get the walls to a creamy colour in the end (in the first room at least), and so figured I'd blast them all with a matt white to start with to begin covering up the colour. There are a few rooms in the house with very dark colours in (the living room is a nice mix of red, orange and green at the moment!), and so I bought the below to use as the first couple of coats. Will this do the trick or do I need something different? I had been looking for a 'basecoat' or 'primer', but I guess I don't need these as the walls are in relatively good nick already?

10866674_10152456438975936_1879667751_n.jpg

I was then going to buy a Dulux or equivalent in the finishing colour once I've gone over it with the above. Do you reckon I'm on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You are on the right track touch up the filled areas first a couple of times using whatever tool you intend to use for the full coat, roller, brush, pad etc.
That will build up the texture so the patches do not show. A common mistake is to touch in with a brush then use a roller and the patches flash through.

Blocking the whole area with white is a good plan too, that B&Q stuff you have should be fine as an undercoat.

Ideally thin the first touch up slightly to allow it to soak into the filler rather than just form a skin on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back