Painting window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has original wooden frames (Georgian style so lots of panes of glass).

I am about to paint the outside and wondered what was the best way to remove the old gloss paint from the putty around the windows where it has started to flake and lift.

Can I use a heat gun if I am careful to protect the glass? or will the heat adversely effect the putty and if so what is the best method of paint removal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would forget the heat gun if I were you and if it is your intention to re-paint there is no need to remove any sound paintwork, scrape off any loose and flakeing paint and taking care not to scratch the glass sand back until the surface becomes uniform.

Dec

Thanks for the reply,

Just one other quick question if I may - where the paint has flaked/lifted off the putty there are hairline cracks in the putty itself. The putty seems to be bonded ok the the frame and the glass so is it just a question of rubbing down the paint/putty to get it as smooth as possible and then overpainting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hairline cracks in putty are not a major problem, just scrape and sand until you have a uniform finish. With regard to the rest of the woodwork I take it this is in good condition and only requires sanding back prior to painting.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back