stripping sash windows with a heat gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to strip the old paint and putty with a heat gun. How do I protect the glass (single glaze) from cracking due to the heat? Is there a way of shielding the glass effectively? What's the beat way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
You can't, it will crack the glass. Sanding is the only way to avoid such accidents.

heat guns come with a heat deflector which attaches to the nozzle to direct away from sensitive areas, not sure how effective they are though.

I used a heat gun with a guard on to strip all my sash windows. Didn't smash or crack a single pane. Was using it quite close as well. It was by far the best for removing the paint, wouldn't do it any other way.

Sponsored Links
I use a broad scraper next to the glass when using the heat gun. Don't leave the heat in one place for too long, keep it moving. No problems then.

I plan to strip the old paint and putty with a heat gun. How do I protect the glass (single glaze) from cracking due to the heat? Is there a way of shielding the glass effectively? What's the beat way of doing this?

Its not the glass you should worry about if you have never used a heat gun before, its whether your Household Insurance will cover you if anything goes wrong.
Using any sort of heat on old Sash windows can be fraught with danger,

I agree, don't use a heat gun next to the glass. You could try paint stripper, but they're nowhere near as powerful as they were pre 2010. (unless anyone has found one which is like Nitromors used to be?)

When we renovated our current house, the small-paned sash windows were so clarted up with years of paint in about 20 layers that we ended up removing the frames (we had to replace the cords anyway) and dipping them in a pit of caustic soda which we dug in the garden and lined with plastic. Then we power washed them and dried them gently. Perfect result - all paint removed and original detailing revealed!

Main problem was stopping the cat dipping its paws in the pit... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back