HELP, HOW DO I STRIP AND PAINT THESE WINDOW CILLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the easiest way to strip these concrete cills (i think maybe sandstone)?
I have a heat gun..
Then paint with homebase primer and undercoat all in one.
Then weathershield white gloss.

When stripping and painting my back windows I never achieved a completey smoth glass like finish due to the roughness of the concrete.,
Do proffessionals use a really thick undercoat or some special paint?

Franc

Sponsored Links
You usually use masonry paint. Glass like finishes are for the inside.

Joes right, 'rough n ready' for exterior..its all extra character! Masonary paint pref' for sills..Weathershield or similar ..Stay clear of Homebase watered-down(or spirited) rubbish :evil:

Joes right, 'rough n ready' for exterior..its all extra character! Masonary paint pref' for sills..Weathershield or similar ..Stay clear of Homebase watered-down(or spirited) rubbish :evil:

The hombase paint is a primer and undercoat all in one for masonary.
I used it on my back windows and was a great base for the dulux weathershield.
I'm now thinking i should swap the dulux weathershield for wood and metal for weathershield masonary..

I used the weathershild gloss on the back windows, (the paint stilll looks great and no signs of blisterig or cracking) over a year ago.
What are the downsides to keeping with this paint for the top coat?

thanks for all your help, i'm hear to learn, sorry for all the questions,

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the black Weathershield gloss on the actual window frames? If so then definitely stick with the gloss ..If you mean the sills then you can paint them gloss if you wish but theyll need some attention to detail in preparation ..If theyre not smooth & sound then they'll look a bit dodgy !

Ah,ok.
Well if you want a nice SMOOTH glossy sill surface your going to need strip off all loose flaky layers at least or completely back to the stone/concrete surface..I find it then easiest to apply a thin layer of P38 filler (the car body filler , dont buy from Halfords etc it'll be too expensive!) to the whole sill if stripped or just to the 'holes' if not.
(this stuff never cracks etc. Use it as a woodfiler too! tip of the year)
If the stripped/half-stripped surface is not to rough then a few thick coats of Weathershield or Stronghold undercoat should level it off sufficiently to acheive an acceptable glossed surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back