PAINTING WOODEN STAIRCASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am painting my wooden staircase, which includes the balustrade. I will need to fill it as there are gaps and cracks everywhere, especially where the spindle meets the stair case, what should I use? I have filled old doors before but maybe because of central heating etc the cracks reappear. Any idesa or products?

Sponsored Links
I find it an advantage to scrape all the old paint out of the joints where it is cracking.

This is particularly visible in panelled doors, but also in other joints. where the timber has dried out and shrunk slightly, the timbers pull away from each other and the paint cracks. On old joinery there may be many coats of paint and a pronounced bead made of hard, cracked old paint at the joint. If you paint on top of the old cracked paint you will get a larger and more visible crack showing in the paint. If you scrape it out and apply a thin coat of paint, it will be less obvious.

Assuming your house is fairly old, and now has central heating, and does not get damp e.g. from hanging wet washing over radiators, the timber will probably have dried out to a fairly stable size and will not expand and contract much in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back