Adding frameless (no handrail) glass balustrade to existing stairs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am renovating my home and I would like to replace wooden spindles and handrail on existing staircase with a frameless glass balustrade. Finding a supplier to make the glass panels (c15MM thick, laminated etc) seems straightforward, but I am trying to figure out whether a 'channel system' can be actually be installed on my staircase or if, instead, I need to consider bolting the glass to the side of the staircase. It would likely be two glass panels on the down balustrade and one panel for the other.

Measurements
The balustrade from 2nd to 1st floor measures approximately 2230MM from point A to point B, or 3000MM along the handrail itself. The slope is 42 degrees.

The balustrade on the 1st floor (with no slope) is 2680MM along the floor length and around 1700MM along the handrail length

Is it simply a case of my builder making a deep enough channel for the channel system to sit in or is this simple a bad idea in the first place?! I would like to replace the newels as well.

Budget is max £3k.

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks.

Stairs CURRENT.JPG

Sponsored Links
Budget is max £3k.
Does the £3K include the removal and making good of the existing balustrades and the fitting of the new one? Or is your £3K just for the supply. I would hazard if it's just for the later you may be OK. This is the kind of job where the devil's in the detail, thoughtfully planned out and meticulously executed by skilled workman it's no problem but employ anyone who can't abide by all of that and it'll be a disaster. Who's going to be responsible for measuring it up and ordering?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does the £3K include the removal and making good of the existing balustrades and the fitting of the new one? Or is your £3K just for the supply. I would hazard if it's just for the later you may be OK. This is the kind of job where the devil's in the detail, thoughtfully planed out and meticulously executed by skilled workman it's no problem but employ anyone who can't abide by all of that and it'll be a disaster. Who's going to be responsible for measring it up and ordering?

Hi. £3k just for glass, channel system, and any other kit needed. Separate budget for installation as have other work to be done to the stairs (creating a new landing towards the top to accommodate entrance to a loft extension). Have someone doing work in the house already but may not use them for this work. It's probably not a common project (frameless on an 'old' staircase v frameless on custom/new staircase or bolted on to side of staircase) so I wanted to get some views on it before I start the process of finding the right people to do it.

Well I would hazard that £3K just for the supply is doable but you'll need to be very careful who you employ to do the work. I'd not be surprised if you ended up paying about the same again f not more for a competent individual to carry out the works.

I would not be confident enough to lean against two separate bits of glass (retrofitted). A single bit running from the top to the bottom perhaps...

I guess that your image is from Abbot and Wade. I would imagine that they do not retro fit their products in to existing set ups.

I would not be confident enough to lean against two separate bits of glass (retrofitted). A single bit running from the top to the bottom perhaps...

I guess that your image is from Abbot and Wade. I would imagine that they do not retro fit their products in to existing set ups.

Thanks. That is what I am trying to figure out - is it possible in the first place? Plenty of glass companies will sell me the glass. You correct re Abbot and Wade, and a note on their website (that they don't retrofit) is what led me to making this post. I have found channel systems such as this (https://originarchitectural.co.uk/product-category/channel-system/origin-sabco/) but they seem to be fixed to concrete or similar.

Nothing wrong with the strength of glass fitted this way, can't be denied that if a kid slips and falls he may fall. But then a kid will soon get used to not having a handrail, human intuition and all that.

Everyone is concentrating on the glass, but what about the staircase? My concern would be whether or not the existing (timber) staircase is actually stiff enough to accomodate the weight glass without flexing too much, given that it will need to be carried in a steel or aluminium bucket section (and be resin bonded into same). I've worked on buildings with this type of ballustrade and to date they have all had welded steel staircases which were all much more heavily made than the equivalent wooden staircases in the same building. This makes me suspect that attempting a frameless glass ballustrade on a timber stair is a non-starter, and presumably explains the lack of retrofit kits

So, can anyone say whether the stringer on a staircase in good condition is likely to be strong enough to accommodate safely the channel system needed to secure a frameless glass balustrade? Or propose a different solution to achieving the same look I am trying to achieve?

It's not just about whether the stringer will support the weight of the glass, it's about whether the leverage of someone leaning on the glass, or falling against it, will wrench the stringer off the side of the staircase..

I'd bolt it to the side, and I'd bolt it into timbers that were glued and screwed to the treads and risers

It's not just about whether the stringer will support the weight of the glass, it's about whether the leverage of someone leaning on the glass, or falling against it, will wrench the stringer off the side of the staircase..

I'd bolt it to the side, and I'd bolt it into timbers that were glued and screwed to the treads and risers

I think my question was clear: will the existing stringer "accommodate safely" the channel system needed "to secure the glass balustrade". Obviously the balustrade has to be strong enough to do what it is supposed to do.

Wondering if there is a London-based company who might help with something like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back