Glass panel measurments for stairs (rake)

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In line with my previous posts about my newel posts I just want to double check my measurements for the glass panels which I am looking to order.

So I've gone the surefire way about the pitch of my stairs by using the digital angle measurer which shows 47⁰. Which I'm also quite surprised as I thought the maximum pitch for domestic stairs was 42⁰?

20230326_131636.jpg

20230326_134526.jpg

The existing baserail is 2610mm which I am keeping in place and just then going to attatch the new one on top which is around 15mm thick

20230326_131729.jpg

So the handrail is going to be the exact same measurement as the baserail? As they basically run parallel, this is assuming all the newel posts are perfect and plumb, so I'm going to just ask to add 20mm longer than my measurements so I can cut down to size myself just incase lol

I believe the minimum height of the handrail in line with the pitch line is 900mm-1000mm max.

Because I'm adding 15mm on top of the existing base rail would I just keep it simple and get 900mm glass which I assume will bring the overall height of the handrail to about 915mm-950mm (depending on what thickness handrail I get)

Also the glass manufacturer said its recommended to have a 20mm gap between panels, I want 3 panels overall so would need 4 gaps.

Gap Panel Gap Panel Gap Panel Gap

2610 - 80mm = 2530mm

2530mm ÷ 3 = 843mm per panel

Any advice would be much appreciated as I just want to make sure I've got the correct type of measurements before I put my order in haha

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back