Panasonic Microwave stops after 3 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Panasonic microwave NN-S454WF stops after 3 seconds,whats is the problem and is it worth fixing myself

Sponsored Links
Whats inside a microwave is a very high voltage transformer, a high voltage capacitor (hold the charge & the charge remains after it has been turned off)
also the magnetron, and you dont want to be messing with that, certainly not powering it up.

The problem may well be with it overheating, because something has a fault on it, causing it to cut out. Very likely the transformer or diode pack or the magnetron.

However, what is your level of competence in repairing electrical equipment?
because you cannot fix it just by looking at it, you need a multimeter, soldering iron & knowledge of how it works, especially the safety circuitry.

And is our wife (assuming you have one) happy to let you repair it and then use it?

I ask that because I can repair microwaves, but my wife is such a namby pamby she wont let me, she worries too much, so instead of me effecting a free repair she has gone out & spent £40 on a new one

So I have spares in the back yard lol.

(this so sounds like what the RGI's tell me about boilers lol)

Thanks Mattylad

Not much exposure with fixing of microwaves, but can try given the correct guidance.
I would toss it( throw away) lol..... but $ are a bit of an issue, and the wife ( dragon as she is affectionately referred to) doesn't really mind so long as I don't cost her anything in the way of medical bills.

I have repaired all appliances that i have attempted with the exception of this little nuking device.

I can handle a soldering iron.....without getting burnt and i did manage to disassemble the microwave without being killed so i am hoping that this is a good sign.

Ok well here is a guide to testing the magnetron, the diodes etc.

The Magnetron will have a long bit of plastic on, this contains some diodes.
AFAIK there will be a clever switch arrangement for the door, this is so that if there is any fault it blows the fuse when you try to open the door.
The PCB is usually the hardest bit to diagnose.

Just be careful, there is more than 240v in this when on.

Sponsored Links
This model is likely to have all it's high voltage components on a complete pcb called the inverter module and if fails will run for 3 secs then stop. The other likely cause could be the magnetron as both will cut out after 3 secs. Will prob be expensive to repair and not worth it. Don't make the mistake of ordering one part without the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back