Panel Mounted Speed Regulator Module?

I then had to resort to tying the wire into position.
And the reason you won't solder the wires in place is....?

I hates soldering :eek:

And where can I find 'wire crimps' which you can plier onto the end of raw wire please, they tidy wire ends up a treat, I noticed these on an old set of electrical wires I reused

They're called bootlace ferrules, and you need proper crimping tool, not a pair of pliers.

Sounds cool - thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Insulation tape degrades in time and more likely you had an old role than wrong make. 3M do all sorts of tape but really although you can get high quality more likely just an old role.

Glad to see all up and running.

Many thanks - 3M it is! :)

Ric

I hates soldering :eek:

It's a simple enough procedure. I suggest you learn to do it right if you want to play around with this stuff.

Is there a link or thread for this or need I start a fresh thread please? I have iron and solder, I never mastered 'tinning', I can solder two wires together but the joint will be blackened & brittle. I would love to be able to solder well however.

Soldering irons may also have improved since I bought mine of course, which was over a decade ago.

Best thanks.

Sponsored Links
DIY Disaster: Just blew a speed regulator for a small electric motor. It wouldn't work from a DC adapter so I wired it into a mains cable. Silly thing to do but at wits end. Bang! Took out two 13 amp fuses, mercifully didn't blow any of the flat fuses in the main board.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/diy-disasters/bang.355718/#2682131#ixzz2LXcaGbFD

Be sure to learn which end of the iron gets hot, then hold only the other end.

Ancient though they are, the videos made by PACE are very, very informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

You do not need expensive tools, although good solder helps hugely. My iron is cheap and nasty, though powerful. It suffices, with one tip, for 0603 SMD components, TQFP packages, all the way up to soldering the tabs of TO220 packages to a ground plane. Technique is 80% of the battle.

DIY Disaster: Just blew a speed regulator for a small electric motor. It wouldn't work from a DC adapter so I wired it into a mains cable. Silly thing to do but at wits end. Bang! Took out two 13 amp fuses, mercifully didn't blow any of the flat fuses in the main board.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/diy-disasters/bang.355718/#2682131#ixzz2LXcaGbFD

Be sure to learn which end of the iron gets hot, then hold only the other end.

Oh dear..

ouch, yes indeed :D

My main problem has always been to heat the thing I'm trying to solder in the first place, otherwise the molten solder just bounces off it onto the floor or elsewhere. Too much heat and you end up melting the thing you are trying to join - for example - if it already has another joint soldered onto it.

In the current case soldering would have been little help, since the offending wire which slipped out had been positioned within the socket of the adapter cable, which is mostly black plastic. A ferrule on the wire into the socket would have been the bee's knees but I have yet to research those. If I can get something like this I will buy a pocket full ;)

Thanks.

My main problem has always been to heat the thing I'm trying to solder in the first place, otherwise the molten solder just bounces off it onto the floor or elsewhere.
There's part of your problem. The solder should be melted by the wire you're trying to solder.

ouch, yes indeed :D

My main problem has always been to heat the thing I'm trying to solder in the first place, otherwise the molten solder just bounces off it onto the floor or elsewhere. Too much heat and you end up melting the thing you are trying to join - for example - if it already has another joint soldered onto it.

See above. Technique is key.

A ferrule on the wire into the socket would have been the bee's knees but I have yet to research those. If I can get something like this I will buy a pocket full ;).

http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/products.aspx?series=LN-xxxxxx
http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/products.aspx?series=LT-0xxxxx-xx+(French+colour+codes)
http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/products.aspx?series=LT-0xxxxx-xx+(German+colour+codes)

Their crimper is pricy for small time stuff, though, but this will suffice: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002GUQT2

In the current case soldering would have been little help, since the offending wire which slipped out had been positioned within the socket of the adapter cable,
But you said

The paperclip wouldn't apply because I removed the jack plug in order to connect up to the speed regulator unit. There is no other way.

The speed regulator only has holes in it for raw wires to be attached
And I expect they should be soldered in. There is no other way.

With the controller which you did not blow up with a 2000% overload, I expect the problem all along was your bodged connection methods of sticky tape and knots.

With the controller which you did not blow up with a 2000% overload, I expect the problem all along was your bodged connection methods of sticky tape and knots.

Moreso the pity in that case - if my bodging had been as bad as it could have been, the circuit would have remained broken and the accident would never have occurred in the first place.

As regards soldering plastic cable, thanks but no, I think not ;)

Methinks we have someone here who hasn't got a blooming clue.

You don't solder the PVC insulation, you solder the wire it is insulating.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back