Paneling around a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a two part question here.

I'm looking to panel the bottom meter of my living room with tongue and groove pine with a floor grade varnish finish. The problem is that there is a radiator in the way.

And now the questions

1) Will the heat from the radiator warp or adverly effect the timber, I'm going for a rustic effect so a little bit of shrinkage/cracking won't be a problem... I'm more worried about bowing/finish falling off (I know this is kind of a joinery problem, but plumers probably have a better chance of having see the effects of radiators on panel).

2) To panel behind the radiator, I will need to remove it, panel round the brackets and re-install. How does one bleed the system and then lift the radiator off, and then, replace it.

Cheers, Sam.

Sponsored Links
1) Will the heat from the radiator warp or adverly effect the timber, I'm going for a rustic effect so a little bit of shrinkage/cracking won't be a problem... I'm more worried about bowing/finish falling off (I know this is kind of a joinery problem, but plumers probably have a better chance of having see the effects of radiators on panel).

That would depend on how well the wood has been seasoned before you use it. I would think that if you kept the wood you want to use in the room you want to use it for as long as possible before hand it should be OK.

2) To panel behind the radiator, I will need to remove it, panel round the brackets and re-install. How does one bleed the system and then lift the radiator off, and then, replace it.

You dont need to drain the system. Close of the valves at each end of the radiator. Position a 'bucket' under the end with the bleed screw in it. Disconnect a valve from the rad, catch the water in the bucket, open the bleed screw to let the water out, use a finger to stop flow while you change 'buckets'. Once it's empty, disconnect other valve and just lift it off...

Well, radiator removal is easy... as for seasoning the wood, unfortunatly, I'll be buying it (B&Q T&G) a couple of days before I put it in. I could however, leave the radiator off the wall for as long as possible (maybe a month).

Cheers,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that if you enclose a radiator you will loose a considerable amount of heat output from it.

If he lined the box with foil & filled it polystyrene he could have a cold to touch box ....... :eek:

Congratulations on perverting the laws of physics :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back