Pipework to a tall, narrow "designer" radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a full bathroom refurbishment, I'm installing one of those tall, narrow designer radiators - a Hudson Reed Revive double-panel unit, model number HL368. This particular rad is 1500mm high and 354mm wide. Each panel consists of six vertical oval tubes that are interconnected at the top and bottom by a short horizontal tube. Full details of the product are here:-

https://www.hudsonreed.co.uk/products/heating/revive-double-panel/HL368

The unit was supplied with a blanking plug and a bleed valve installed conventionally at the top of the rad. The bottom two connectors just have plastic blanks installed - presumably ready to receive a balancing valve and an on/off or thermostatic valve on the other side.

Now to the point of this post.....

The installation instructions on the manufacturer's website (they can be found on the above web page) state that when the rad is installed "upright" - i.e. the installed radiator is "tall and narrow" as opposed to "wide and short", the flow side should be connected to the top of the radiator and the return should be connected to the bottom on the same side.

Is this really necessary? I suppose it's intended to avoid the situation where, if installed with flow and return connections at the bottom, the hot water tends to cut straight across to the return without properly circulating through the full radiator, but it will involve rather messy pipework and will, I think, rather spoil the finished look of the installation.

If it's really necessary I'll certainly follow the manufacturer's recommendations - far better to have an effective radiator than one that doesn't work properly. But if the general consensus is that conventional connections at the bottom of the rad will work, then I'd rather do that.

Anyone got any experience of installing one of these rads, or something similar?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes it has to be flow into top and return bottom (same side) other wise it wont work very well. If both bottom connections are used then the pumped flow will just enter and exit very quickly as its the easy short route, some heat will rise up,just some.

There has been many threads here about these and similar designer rads which dont heat up very well.

They work very well when plumbed correctly,fitted many. Nice looking rads.

Thanks very much for your help.

I had a feeling that would be the answer, but still thought it worth checking before I start changing all the pipework in the area.

It's a bit misleading of the manufacturer to show one of these rads mounted "upright" with conventional bottom connections.... Maybe nobody told their marketing department that it wouldn't work if installed like that....

Last edited:
Yes your very right to ask.

They can be fitted (sometimes different brackets) either vertical or horizontal,if its in a bathroom maybe the exposed flow pipe is not so much a visual eye ache. If they were fitted in a lounge,bedroom,hall then its a good idea to chase the wall and conceal that pipe.

The advertising pictures are for guidance only,its up to the installer to ensure its suitable. There are vertical designer rads available which have baffles inside so these can be fitted with both bottom connections.worth a think.

Welcome to the world of imports.

Sponsored Links
You should call the makers and ask them if they have a baffle available which enables them to be connected at the bottom only.

I have not encountered one before which ( apparently ) does not have a baffle arrangement available.

As an end user I would say that if they really do not have a baffle then it was wrong for them to show a picture piped from below and you could claim that they should refund you of all your costs as it was misrepresented in their advertising.

Tony

Tony,please remember we are now in 2017 your comments here and on other threads kind of make me think your still in the world of being able to cycle up to the ascot factory,north circular road to get a pouch type diaphgragm dia.jpg images (4)ascot.jpg images (4)ascot.jpg

Things have moved on ,maybe not for the best thou.But your still here.

Agile hasn't been in the trade that long after leaving the BBC..I doubt very much whether he has ever seen an ascot let alone possessing the knowledge to repair one.

Think i stole his bicycle 40 years ago,so i have to respect tony the agile.
images (4) penny.jpg

Not going to comment on the CC but i hear B & QEESY are looking for helpful mature staff but he (the agile,the one and only) would remember not to mention "£84 quid and ill try to fix it 4 you" mate.

And they have bike parking rack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back