Paper tape v Sticky mesh tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve done a number of plasterboard repairs over recent years and have always used the paper tape on joins. I have used easifill for the skimming.

Despite my best efforts, I’ve had occasions where there are air bubbles in the tape. I then have to cut these bubbles out and apply further coats of easifill.

Would it be different and/or advisable to use the mesh tape instead?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
...it's not something pros tend to do, but dipping the paper tape in a bowl of water, just before using it, really helps a DIY'er to avoid bubbles.

Should I continue with paper tape (dipped in water) for repair scenarios or are there any advantages to using the sticky mesh tape?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I’ve tried both and the paper tape was a ballache, but mesh is easy. If youre good with the paper tape it probably gives you a nicer corner though

I found mesh tape easier (as a first time diyer) but it did seem to need a thicker layer to avoid showing through, which was relevant when jointing where there was no taper for whatever reason.
Another tip is the tape with two metal strips in was really good for the non-90% corners we had.

I found mesh tape easier (as a first time diyer) but it did seem to need a thicker layer to avoid showing through, which was relevant when jointing where there was no taper for whatever reason.
Another tip is the tape with two metal strips in was really good for the non-90% corners we had.
What do you mean by “when there is no taper”?

What do you mean by “when there is no taper”?
Taper edged plasterboards have an indent at the edge, that allows the tape/mesh to be applied and filled without protruding above the board surface.
When the boards are plain edged, using tape for the joint allows a slightly thinner fill than mesh; the wall may look less wavey!

Taper edged plasterboards have an indent at the edge, that allows the tape/mesh to be applied and filled without protruding above the board surface.
When the boards are plain edged, using tape for the joint allows a slightly thinner fill than mesh; the wall may look less wavey!
Couldn't have put it better myself, thanks!

Fibre Fuse I use. Best stuff.

Other option is the fine mesh.

Gyproc FibaTape Perfect Finish Tape​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back