Parking In A Disabled Bay.

If do not hold a blue badge, have you parked, do you or would you park in a disabled space?

• Yes.

• Sometimes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was looking up a blue badge for myself the other day. I don't qualify. You have to be blind, non-working arms so you can't feed a meter or be unable to walk.
I get really out of breath, I have pulmonary arterial hypertension. This is a bad thing and kills you. I can walk round Sainburys more or less. It is quite a small one and I need a couple of rests, biscuits are way down the far end! If I had to park in the half of the car park furthest from the shop I probably couldn't manage the shopping. I saw my consultant today. She said I should have a badge really and also decided I had two new illnesses bringing the total to 8. My daughter took me shopping yesterday. We happened to park just opposite the disabled slots and watched badged car drivers leaping out and striding into the shop. I can't do that, I struggle. It seems very unfair.

Sponsored Links
Peterchichester, when you said had a look, did you apply? Worth applying methinks, sounds like you really should get one and with illnesses such as yours they are done by case by case. Hope they sort you out anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking up a blue badge for myself the other day. I don't qualify. You have to be blind, non-working arms so you can't feed a meter or be unable to walk.
I get really out of breath, I have pulmonary arterial hypertension. This is a bad thing and kills you. I can walk round Sainburys more or less. It is quite a small one and I need a couple of rests, biscuits are way down the far end! If I had to park in the half of the car park furthest from the shop I probably couldn't manage the shopping. I saw my consultant today. She said I should have a badge really and also decided I had two new illnesses bringing the total to 8. My daughter took me shopping yesterday. We happened to park just opposite the disabled slots and watched badged car drivers leaping out and striding into the shop. I can't do that, I struggle. It seems very unfair.

Do you get PIP or DLA, if you do a BB is pretty much guaranteed.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be a matter of ticking boxes on and online form. I couldn't tick any of them. Nope, I don't get any benefits bar pension

Do you get DLA?

With the backing of your medical professionals, you stand a good chance.

It seems to be a matter of ticking boxes on and online form. I couldn't tick any of them. Nope, I don't get any benefits bar pension
You just need to tick the box that says you have a disability that causes you difficulty in walking. Then you get assessed on a case by case.
My dad in law got one a couple of years ago, he's 86 and had a heart attack and a stroke. He recovered thankfully, pretty much but it left him very tired and unable to walk far and that's when he applied.

Charlie..don't be so hard on yourself...you are not a knob

anyway.back on topic
...everyone who drIves has parked in a disabled spot at one time.maybe for a few seconds. maybe you didn't realise...but we have all done it...!!..end of.

A friend of mine has a Blue Badge, although they don't have the mobility to go out alone, their friends often take them out in order to utilise the Blue Badge, e.g. collecting friends/relatives from airports, etc.
It provides my friend with a) the opportunity to go out to interesting places/meet interesting people, and b) increase the circle of friends that are willing and eager to take them out, and c) stop-over at friends.
So, although some may see it as exploitation, I see it as a passport for my friend to go out often, further than just local jaunts, and in increasingly more diverse company.

I do not fully agree with your reasoning.

Obviously, if you are helping them into the bank, for example, then it would be acceptable for the short time that may take.
However, parking in a disabled space for hours, say, outside a cinema or hospital main entrance, when you could go and park in a car park, is not reasonable and uses a space a disabled person alone may need.

It seems to me that there's quite a few folk on here who aren't yet able to define the difference twixt right & wrong !

Sponsored Links
Back